Monday, April 27, 2009

That's Why I Don't Eat Ham


I've always thought pigs were cute...from a distance. I don't pet them, and I certainly don't eat them. I don't know how bad this swine flu epidemic is, but Dr. Sanjay Gupta has been freaking me out. After watching him on CNN today reporting from Mexico, I've decided to ban burritos from my table.

Anyway, Middle Eastern media is also obsessed with this story, more than I remember them being during the SARS epidemic. Why are they worried about swine disease when they hardly eat pig?

Here is the weirdest story of all: The outbreak of swine flu should be renamed "Mexican" influenza in deference to Muslim and Jewish sensitivities over pork, said an Israeli health official Monday.
Deputy Health Minister Yakov Litzman said the reference to pigs is offensive to both religions and "we should call this Mexican flu and not swine flu," he told a news conference at a hospital in central Israel.

3 comments:

  1. This is one thing both the Jews and Muslims can agree on...don't eat pig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a racist comment by the Israeli deputy health minister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that an excellent and cheap source of protien is banned because of religous fairy tales makes starving children sad.

    ReplyDelete